Thursday, March 20, 2008

I'm 6 Months Old! What's a "fear period"?

Can you believe it? I'm 6 months old. Jenn says that I'm now a puppy "teenager" and this is an important time to revisit all our socialization experiences. It's time to go back and take more field trips, meeting new people, and going to new places. Didn't I do all that already? Jenn says that puppies experience additional fear periods from 6 months-1 year of age. That means that I could get scared and unsure about all kinds of things over the next few months. I need to continue to experience the world so that I will feel safe and confident. Be sure you are continuing your puppy's socialization, even if we don't look like puppies anymore, our minds are just beginning to mature.

Read more about the fear imprint period here.

No comments: