Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Do you know about Secondary Chewing Phase?

I must chew, now more than ever! Why must I chew you ask? I'm not such a puppy anymore, but a teenager. Teenage dogs can actually chew more than younger puppies because we are in the secondary chewing phase. This starts around 6-10 months of age and happens because the puppy's teeth are setting in the jaw.

Lots of people don't know that puppies go through this and assume that the puppy is acting out when they destroy things. Actually the puppy is just chewing everything in sight because of how uncomfortable and painful our jaws/mouths feel. Imagine teeth as big as ours coming into your mouth!

What can help? Jenn keeps me well exercised, she supervises me or puts me in my crate when she can't, provides lots of safe, indestructible chew toys, and she gives me things that I can destroy like my favorite cardboard boxes.

Click here for a great article on the secondary chewing phase and what you can to do help your puppy through it (and save your stuff!)

No comments: