Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Soft Places for Seniors to Sleep

We're talking about senior dogs, like my girl Big Sandy, and helping them to be comfortable, keeping them active, and healthy. Since older dogs tend to sleep more, it is really important they have a place that provides not only soft comfort but support for joints. Big Sandy has several beds that give her body a good place to rest.
She has her favorite Fido Fleece Cloud Bed and she drifts off to sleep whenever she lies in it. It is oval and soft fleece. Big Sandy can prop her head up on the side which she seems to like. Don't tell anyone, but sometimes she pees while she is asleep. (we'll talk about those little leaks later). If she wets her bed, Jenn can throw the whole Cloud Bed in the washer and then the dryer. Jenn has washed the Fido Fleece at least fifty times in the past six months and it still holds the same shape and looks as good as new. This bed costs a bit more, but has really been worth it.
Big Sandy's other bed is an orthopedic pad from Costco which Jenn paid about $20 for. It is made with orthopedic foam several inches thick. It is a large square and definitely big enough the stretch out on. It has a water resistant cover that zips off. So if there is a little accident, Jenn can just wash the cover. This bed was a super bargain.
Big Sandy also really likes a round nesting bed like our friend Bailey's bed.Having a comfortable bed is a very nice thing for every dog to have. For an older dog, it is something that can give their bodies relief even if they have to share it sometimes. When I was smaller, Big Sandy and I could share the same bed. But now I know that I need to respect her space.

2 comments:

The Beasts- Royal, Brock & Alki said...

what a grreat & informative post!

Im only 6 and a half but mom says I am "getting older" and has been looking into getting me an orthopedic bed. for now she shares her bed with me so I dont have to lay on the hard floor- works fur me!!

mom says: I wish we had those beds at our costco!! when did you find that there?

butt wiggles,
Brock

Raising Addie said...

WOW you have some great beds to pick from!

I prefer the tile floor. It is soooo nice and cool. Lucie had a favorite bed until Hailey walked on it. Then Lucie peed on it and that was the end of that bed. It was not one of those washable kinds.

We just LOVE your smile!!

Chasing my tale...
Addie, Lucie, and Hailey